The application for the 2017 Cohort is now open!
The ideal Archives Leadership Institute participant is a mid-career archivist or archives professional who exhibits exemplary leadership potential with a solid, established professional foundation of practical knowledge and experience. The ideal candidate should already have an established career foundation and a strong grasp on archival practice and theory. This individual will be seeking leadership training in order to positively affect the profession. Characteristics of successful candidates include:
Who should apply?
Who should apply?
- identifiable leadership skills and potential
- the ability to influence change within the archival field
- a strong commitment to the archival profession
- demonstrated professional organizational involvement and service
- a collaborative and innovative spirit
- representation and/or support of diversity within the profession
What is expected of ALI participants?
- Attend the Leadership Institute at Berea College (Berea, Kentucky), June 25 - July 1, 2017
- Develop and conduct a practicum‐style leadership project at your home institution
- Participate in ongoing discussions, projects, and networking opportunities through the cohort mailing list
- Conduct a thematic group project like presentations or publications with other ALI alumni that will address challenges within the archival field (optional)
- Professionally present projects and products that were a result of your ALI experience and training (optional)
The Application Process
The Application Process for the Archives Leadership Institute program consists of an online application and a nomination letter submitted from a professional colleague or supervisor.
The application will open in September 2016, and will close on November 30, 2016 (no extensions). It will ask for candidates to respond to short essay questions:
- How are you a leader?
- Talk about a time when you took initiative to proactively achieve a goal.
- How have you involved yourself professionally beyond your role at your institution?
- Talk about a time when you influenced and motivated others to do something.
- How do you represent and/or support diversity in the profession?
- Please describe a potential project that you may want to focus on during the Archives Leadership Institute. [See abstracts of previous ALI practicums]
- How do you want to change the world?
The nomination letter should specifically answer, "What is this applicant's potential for leadership?" The nomination letter should include the applicant's full name and must be emailed as a .PDF file to email@example.com by November 30, 2016.
The selection process strives to include participants with a range of backgrounds, specializations, and job descriptions within the archival field. The Steering Committee is reluctant to admit more than one staff member from a given institution to the same class, but encourages all ideal candidates to apply.